Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Story of Sookie & Charlotte

Once upon a time I decided I wanted a kitten.  For this kitten I was willing to overcome all obstacles, like unconvinced parents, a messy house, and an oaf of a dog.  I poured through the pages of petfinder.com hoping to stumble upon the perfect little angel.  But alas, no angel appeared to me.

It was by chance that I found the Kitty Cottage on the site.  They didn't even have pictures of kittens online, just a note saying they always have some available.  So I found out their hours and I along with my father and brother headed over there.  They charged us $20.00 just to play with the kittens and made us sanitize ourselves.  Cat fanatics aren't always normal..

I should have known there was something "special" about the kittens I saw.  They were playing a game where one would go into a fabric igloo and push her paws against the bottom of the sides so the other could pounce at them.  Odd.  They were also the only two left from their litter and had to go together (that should have been a flag).

Their  names were Jessica and Cinnamon.  Ugly.  We walked in, and the two would not stop purring.  "Jessica" was climbing all over us while "Cinnamon" walked around our legs and played with my brother's shoe laces.  They were playful and sweet.  We fell in love and arranged to pick them up in a couple of days.

Jessica was renamed Sookie, and Cinnamon became Charlotte.  Sookie was quite spastic on the ride home (whining and flailing her arm through the carrier).  This worried me.  At first neither took to the dog.  This, too, worried me.  So up they went to live in my room where Charlotte produced the foulest feces I have ever smelt and they got tangled in my decorative mosquito net.

That all was two and a half years ago.  My little ladies are, indeed, "special" but I love them for it.

And now, without further ado, I give you:

Baby Charlotte & Baby Sookie (see that?! I changed the order in which they were presented! And probably surprised you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment